Wednesday, April 2, 2014

If I had a... Beard

Illustration by ME


My face is smooth and rather bland
With hardly a hair in sight.
There’s a tiny hint of peach fuzz
On the left cheek and the right.
But IF I had a BEARD,
Oh, the things that I could do.
Just imagine all the knick-knacks
That I could store inside it too.
There’d be a place for all my pens
And if I styled it with gel
There’d be a special shelf
For all my notebooks there, as well.
I’d have cubbies for all my favorite snacks
Plus a drawer for salt and spices,
Just in case I need some seasoning
On my buttered French Toast slices.
And then, of course, there’d be a place
For all my feathered friends,
A soft brown nest with
Leave and branches
For sparrows, chickadees, and wrens.
They’d sing me songs
And fetch me treats
And keep me groomed and sleek,
‘Cause it takes a lot of time
To keep this mane coiffed and chic.
Oh, if I only had a beard
All my problems would be gone,
But for now I guess I’ll keep this face
With just this peach fuzz on it. 



13 comments:

  1. Fantastic! And I love the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We'll see if I have time to do any new illustrations for some other posts...

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I have to give a bread a try one of these days. And thanks for finding my blog. My follower has been weird too, but it's working today. Looking forward to your posts as this challenge continues! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO MUCH BEARDLY GOODNESS (and yes I am shouting!)! Love it! #atozchallenge ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool. Okay, my brain is rattling. I know this poem's rhythm. I've read this to my kids a thousand times, wait, wait. Oh yeah! If I Had Duck Feet! Jeez, I'm earning my greys. That illustation is wonderful; it reminds me of a new picture book I borrowed from the library: The Girl Who Would Not Brush Her Hair. My daughter (who hates the brush) has become enamoured of this tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm going to have to get a copy of IF I HAD DUCK FEET. I've never heard of it before :) Thanks for all the awesome book suggestions!!!!

      Delete
  5. Great post! I love the drawing! Happy A-Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My!

    I've just read the preview of Deliver Me. That is definitely going on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!!!! I can't believe it comes out THIS MONTH!

      Delete
  7. That was really cute! Poems are so hard to me. Great B! Cheers. http://perspectiveofawriter.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/b-brimstone/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic poem and artwork! So talented!

    ReplyDelete