Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Author Spotlight: Judith Tewes

Judith Tewes

Judith  resides in small town northern Alberta, where she: writes, sings, plays bass guitar in an all-woman band, and suspects she's living the life of a superhero's alias.

Q&A


What’s the best book you’ve read recently?

I’m pretty new to the contemporary YA / NA fiction world, both in terms of writing and reading in the genre. I’ve been devouring as many titles as I can to play catch up and get a solid foundation for the dos and don’ts. So far, I’ve been impressed with a few standout authors and I’d recommend snagging any of their titles: Rainbow Rowell, John Green, Gayle Forman, Jennifer E Smith, and Tammara Webber.

What made you decide to become a writer?

The voices in my head left me with no choice. Write or die, they said. Lol…I’m kidding…sorta.

Do you have a favorite genre to write? How about to read?

As I mentioned, contemporary YA/NA is a new love for me, but I’m enjoying learning everything I can about this genre. I also write paranormal / horror / thriller YA under the pen name, Judith Graves. Expanding into different genres is a challenge, but oh, so fun. At this point, I’m into reading just about anything – well, except I have a ton of adult literary fiction I want to dig into, but haven’t had time yet. Hopefully this summer, I’ll tick a few more titles off my to-be-read list.

Do you write every day? Do you set word goals?

I do. I get up early (5am) everyday to write. Sometimes the words come easy, but most days I slog through the first bleary-eyed half-hour until things start to flow. I have a general goal of at least a page or 1k per day. I write multiple projects at once, alternating days and my focus, however, if one story is going like gangbusters, I stick with it as long as I can before moving to the next WIP.


Is there any special writing paraphernalia that you’re obsessed with: notebooks, pens, special paper?


Yes! I have an obsession with buying coil notebooks – the funkier the better. And nothing can save you if you steal my “special” fine point pen.
































Charlie is down to her absolute. Total. Last. Resort.

Despite a thoroughly comprehensive list of potential cherry poppers, er…suitors, and careful plotting, Charlie is three weeks into her devirginization campaign, still untouched, and getting desperate. In the movie of her life, this aspiring screenwriter is giving herself a PG, for please, get some.

Her project goes into freeze frame when her mom checks herself into rehab and packs Charlie off to live with her estranged, or just plain strange, grandfather, Monty. How is she supposed to get a date when she has to go pick up his Depends?

Enter Eric, a hot rehab grad on the road to redemption, and the only one who can make Charlie rethink her strategy. The more she gets to know him, the more convinced she becomes that is the one, and not just another to add to the list of people who will abandon her.

In this hilarious and heartbreaking story of one girl’s detoured road to womanhood, Charlie’s list develops a life of its own – right when she realizes there’s so much more to lose.

Add to Goodreads

Learn more about Judith and her books here:


No comments:

Post a Comment