Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Author Spotlight: Kelley Lynn

Kelley Lynn


Eventually the day came when the voices in Kelley Lynn’s head were more insistent then her engineering professor’s. So instead of turning to her Thermodynamics book, Kelley brought up a blank page on her computer screen and wrote. Somewhere along the way she became a Young Adult author.

Kelley was born and raised a Midwestern girl. She fills her free time with softball, soccer and volleyball. (Though you probably don’t want her on your volleyball team.) She occasionally makes guest appearances as a female vocalist for area bands.

ROAD TO SOMEWHERE is Kelley's second published book. FRACTION OF STONE, YA Fantasy, was published in March 2013 (Sapphire Stary Publishing). You can find Kelley hanging out at her blog, titled in her name, and her facebook author page. She loves to receive reactions to her work, authorkelleylynn@gmail.com. Kelley is a member of the Society of Children’s Books Writers and Illustrators.

Q&A

What was your favorite book as a child? How about now?

I don’t really do the ‘favorite’ book. I guess I’m not very committal. J ha! But I’d have to say that the most memorable from my childhood are The Boxcar Children, The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Little House on the Prairie. I seriously couldn’t pick favorites today. Again, the whole noncommittal thing.

What made you decide to become a writer?

Honestly, the voices in my head wouldn’t shut up. I always had characters are stories floating around up there and one day I wondered…what would it take to publish a book? I Googled ‘How do I publish a book?’ and it just never stopped after that. I’m kind of addicted now.

Do you have a favorite genre to write? How about to read?

Nope and…nope. That whole noncommittal thing again. J But honestly, I’ve written Young Adult in Fantasy, Science Fiction, Thriller, and Dystopian. ROAD TO SOMEWHERE (released through Bloomsbury Spark on March 11th!) is my first, but definitely not my last, Contemporary.

How long does it take you to draft a novel? Tell us a bit about your writing process.

Haha. You should ask Jenny S. Morris, my collab author for ROAD TO SOMEWHERE, this question. Usually I’m a complete panster (I write by the seat of my pants). But you can’t really write that way with a partner. When I’m writing a solo project I don’t outline. I’m just as surprised as to what happens next as the reader is. The fastest I’ve ever written a first draft is ten days. Usually it takes me less than three weeks. (So I write it very fast, but it needs A LOT of edits before I’ll show it to anyone.)

What are you working on now?

Right now Jenny and I are working on the sequel to ROAD TO SOMEWHERE. I’m going through the first round of edits of a YA Science Fiction titled ONE WISH AWAY (Bloomsbury Spark, July 2014) I’m working on the finishing touches to the second book in The Fraction Series, FRACTION OF HOPE. (To be release late April, early May. The first book in The Fraction Series, FRACTION OF STONE, is available now.) I also have about twelve other ideas running around in my head I have to find time to get down.






















ROAD TO SOMEWHERE
Kelley Lynn and Jenny S. Morris
Publisher: Bloomsbury Spark
Publish date: March 11, 2014

Synopsis:

From Bloomsbury Spark, a sunny heartwarming story of discovery and sisterhood. 

A road trip. A singing competition. And super-hot cowboys. 

What could be better? 

For Charlie, a post-high school road trip isn't just a vacation, it's life changing. While her parents think she's helping a friend move, a chance at fame is the real reason to grab her best friends and drive to L.A. But when her super annoying, uber-responsible, younger sister, Lucy, has to tag along, it isn't quite the summer of fun she imagined. 

Add in a detour to her grandparents' ranch in Texas, and between mucking the stalls, down-home cookin’, and drool worthy ranch hands, this could just turn into the best, and most complicated, summer of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment