Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Sucker for Books on Writing


Yes, I'm a sucker when it comes to buying books on writing. But in my defense, I'm a sucker when it comes to buying books in general, so it should come as no surprise that when you put the words book and writing together I would get a little loopy.

I'm not one hundred percent sure what the lure is with books on writing, but my guess is that most writers fall prey to their siren song. I know part of it is the dream that there's going to be some magic information inside that strikes a chord and suddenly makes me a better writer. And while I do often bring some new knowledge away from these books to hopefully add to my craft, I'd say for the most part what I glean is inspiration. If I can crack one of these books open and renew my excitement for writing; if I can attack my project in a new way, with a new set of tools, then it was worth reading. 

I'm excited to read Sandra Scofield's THE SCENE BOOK.  Have you read any great books on writing lately? Why do you like reading books on writing?

3 comments:

  1. As in all things I'm interested in, I LOVE reading books by someone with an equal interest, but with enough determination to actually 'get it into print'.

    As long as I'm READING about how to write, I'm not actually having to DO it at the time.

    I believe it's a form of procrastination.

    Right now I'm on a quest to design my entire bedroom around your "PASSION" painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You feel about writing books like some people feel about diet and nutrition books. :)
    Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I haven't read a lot of books on writing. I have a hard time with nonfiction, so it doesn't hold my attention very long. I do have a few on my bookshelf, but I can't remember what they're called... ;)

    ReplyDelete