Saturday, April 9, 2011

I Wish


I admit it, I’m a superstitious soul. I think I could easily be one of those people who believe that book, “The Secret”, except that I can never follow someone else’s instructions (not sewing, not baking), not even for wish fulfillment.
But that doesn’t mean that I don’t like to make up my own rules for wishes. There’s the whole lucky number wish system i.e. when you look at the clock right when it reads 11:11 and you can make a wish before the time changes. Or the lucky day wish system, like this year when we had 1-1-11. Just imagine all the wish opportunities when you combine the two.
 Of course there are all the tradition wish categories: birthday candles, shooting stars, wish bones.
But last summer while we were camping (Interesting fact: it was on this same camping trip that I came up for the idea of my YA novel), our family started a new little wish tradition. Here’s the gist of it.
1-  On a strip of paper you write out your wish. It can be as simple or as detailed as you want.

2-  Then you fold it up into a tight ball and repeat the wish in your mind.
The next step works best on a camping trip because you’ll already have a campfire, but it also works if you have a back yard fire pit or even in a fireplace or large candle.
3-   After repeating your wish you toss your paper into the fire and watch as the wish catches fire. The best part is watching as your wish turns into smoke and drifts into the sky (off to come true).
The other day while we were at Jolly’s Market buying birthday gifts for my girls’ friends we came across these little wish tickets. I didn’t want to shell out the $8 for the pack, but after I got home I regretted not getting them. I’m sure there’s a new wish tradition just waiting to happen. Come Monday morning I’ll be heading back to buy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment