Sunday, April 8, 2012

H is for Home


My sweet little 96 year old grandma died this morning. Four and a half years ago she moved from Connecticut to Utah to be nearer to us. For most of her life she lived in Connecticut, but after her kids grew up and moved away and many of her friends and family died, she decided that her life might be more exciting if she was around me and my three little kiddos. 

As much as she loved being around us, she still longed for home. It may have been the home she lived in for more than fifty years that she longed for, but we often thought that the home she truly wanted to travel back to was the one that existed in 1940, a home with kids and her "best beau", the love of her life.

I don't blame her. I think the home I'll always long for is the one I'm living in right now. This place. This time.

5 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss. You are very lucky to have had a grandmother for so long...mine passed away before I was born and it wasn't until I was married that I actually had grandmothers. One grandmother lived on the same property her entire life...in Hoystville Utah.

    Happy A-Z April :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss, it is never easy losing a loved one. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss, Kate. Many prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My condolences on your loss. :(

    Visiting from A-Z
    http://tahomabeadworks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely that you got to spend her last years with your grandmother. So true, though, that 'home' is where our heart resides.

    ReplyDelete