Tuesday, November 15, 2011

On Your Mark...


Yes, it's true, I'm totally a sucker for anything with a built in timer. That is why today, when I discovered the Write or Die app, I fell in love at first click.

I'm in the thick of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and even though I've done a pretty adequate job keeping up with the daily word count, today I realized that with a little nudge (and fifteen minutes on the clock) my writing goals went right through the roof.

The key is getting the fingers moving and getting rid of the internal editor. And believe me, Write or Die won't let you lollygag. If your fingers start hovering over the keypad for too long without typing, the screen starts changing color to let you know that you've slumped into one of those writing comas. And if you need a real kick in the pants you can set it to alarm you with annoying sounds if you start slacking off.

Now I just need to find an app that can do this same sort of thing for folding laundry and my life will really be looking bright.

5 comments:

  1. I used writeordie today too! Four 15 minute sessions and 2300 words later, I'm a happy writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- not sure I could take it. It's like the sergeant at Writers' Boot Camp or something. I'd be AWOL in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last time I did NaNo, I worked a solid schedule with lots of overtime. I finished with 52,000 words. This year, I have vacation and I never started. I think I have moss on my backside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! I don't think my brain works fast enough to have the Write or Die app though . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love write or die too! :) thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete