Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tick Tock: My Best Friend Sally


Let me introduce you to one of my best friends. Some people think she’s annoying because she nags… a lot (and in a very loud, screeching voice I might add), but without her I’m basically a lazy blob stuck unmoving under a warm blanket on the couch.

Maybe I just don’t know how to motivate myself or use my time wisely, but without my handy dandy oven timer (we’ll just call her Sally) I’m pretty lost.

I wish that I was a person who could face the day with sword wielded, armor flashing and tackle every task on my “to do” list, but I’m not. In fact, big lists overwhelm me, which is ironic because of my almost obscene love for lists. And I do love them. I love writing them, and crossing the items off in really dark pen.

But the key to tackling a list (for me) is Sally. Maybe I’m a bit like a Kindergartener, but I just accomplish things better when they’re broken down into nice little manageable chunks of time. You’d be amazed what can get done in 15 minutes.

Here’s how Sally serves me best. On those days when I really just want to sit in my big cozy chair in my front room under my down comforter and read the next book on my list, Sally is there to make sure that three o’clock doesn’t roll around with me still sporting my pajamas. Sally can be set for a half an hour, during which time I get to read and read and read. Then when she beeps I know it’s time to get something done, for instance getting dressed.

I’m still not totally fair with my time. The things I like to do: reading, writing, painting, get big chunks of time to work with, while things like housework usually get relegated to 15 minute bursts (and how I love to hear that beeping that sets me free from cleaning.)

I heard Sally’s cousin Ally lives at your house. Aren’t you lucky?

No comments:

Post a Comment