Do you have a list of people that you’re really good friends with… in your imaginary world? I know I do. Stephen Colbert doesn’t know it, but we hang out ALL the time: dinner dates, trips to the movies, gallery hopping. I’m pretty sure that he even has a little crush on me, which could be kind of embarrassing if my husband ever found out.
Oh, and I guess I should mention Will.i.am. After all, I decided last week that he and I would make great BFFs. He's so funny and smart and I'm hoping I can even get him to humor me and write a theme song for my life. I really want a theme song.
So today I’m planning a guest list for my imaginary dinner party. Who do I want to come? Of course Stephen and Will are invited. I think the rest of my guest list might go something like this:
· I know we already have a Stephen at the party and Mr. Colbert might be a little miffed, but I’d really like Mr. King to come too.
· Since I’m definitely inviting my mom to my dinner party I will invite her idol (and dog’s namesake) Ms. Aretha Franklin. And if she feels better I hope she’ll sing for us.
· Chuck Close seems like he might be a little bit shy, but I hope he’ll come anyway. I know he won’t have time to paint any of us, but maybe some of his genius will rub off on me.
· Maybe it’s just because Sliding Doors and Duets are two of my favorite movies, but I think Gwyneth Paltrow would be a good addition to my party. She seems like the kind of person who would make sure everyone feels welcome (plus I really like the way her voice sounds).
· After I read EAT, PRAY, LOVE, I already felt like Elizabeth Gilbert was one of my close friends, so she should certainly come. And I bet she could recommend some good Italian food.
· If Katy Perry doesn’t mind, I’d really like Russell Brand to come to my party. I know he’s probably going to offend someone, but he’ll be sure to entertain.
· I’ve always wanted to write a screenplay and even though Judd Apatow probably gets sick of talking about work, I bet he’d be happy to share a few tips with me while we’re eating our crème brulee.
· Of course I don’t want Jon Stewart to get jealous. I hope he knows that I’ll always love him and he’s welcome at my house even if there isn’t a party going on.
So…who’s invited to your dinner party?