Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My Top Ten Favorite Middle Grade Books of All Time!

Some of the most influential books in my life were introduced to me when I was just a little girl. They were the first ray of light into the dark tunnel of my imagination and they've stayed with me through the years, informing me about all the books I'd come to love over the years. 

Here's a list of my favorite middle grade novels, some from my childhood and some from my second childhood (let's face it, I'll never grow up). 

1. Watership Down by Richard Adams



2. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson




3. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien



4. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit



5. Doll Bones by Holly Black



6. Okay For Now by Gary D. Schmidt



7. The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate



8. From The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg



9. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling



10. The Evolution of Culpurnia Tate by Jaqueline Kelly




7 comments:

  1. I haven't yet read #'s 1,5 and 8. The others I adore! Looks like I have three new books on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous that you get to read them all for the first time :)

      Delete
  2. I read WATERSHIP DOWN when I was too young to really understand it, but I loved it just the same. And I recently read and enjoyed DOLL BONES. Got Black's new one on my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ermagahd I can't even believe you attempted this. My Top Ten would turn into a Top-100-Plus-Dana-Is-Drunk. I'm very bad at hierarchies. However I will say you have a lot of my faves on here. But THE DARK IS RISING series, MOON OVER MANIFEST, LIESL AND PO...
    arghhhhMustStop!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Mixed Up Files is probably my all time favorite MG book! I'm a bit old to have read the others when I was 'of age', but here are some known and obscure ones I've happened upon in my second childhood: The Arcadians by Lloyd Alexander, Absolutely Normal Chaos by Sharon Creech, The Doll People by...darn I can't remember!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read all of those. I'm excited to add them to my TBR.

      Delete