Friday, April 19, 2013

Q is for Question



Almost every story I've ever written has started with the same two words... what if? It's a question that I'll never get tired of asking. Held within it are seemingly endless possibilities. The answer could take me anywhere. Just imagine all the lives, all the worlds that are wrapped up in those two words.

What if humans had evolved into two distinct but separate species?

What if scientists discovered that humans were actually aliens?

What if a high school student discovered Noah's Ark in his backyard?

What if a massive disease wiped out all life in the ocean?

What if the icecaps suddenly melted and people had to leave the coasts in a mass exodus?

What if people were going extinct and a few scientists were trying to save our species from disappearing?

I could spend hours asking what ifs. Sometimes the questions are intriguing and sometimes they fall short, but I'll never tire of dreaming up the answers.

19 comments:

  1. I love "What if" too - except sometimes it leads me down the roads of worries and nightmares, and I have to wind my way back to "fiction" instead of real life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that overactive imagination is the source of all my fears, but it's also the source of all my creativity, so I guess it's a toss up!

      Delete
  2. Great questions and I think this is a wonderful Q post. I used the what if when writing my novel and it worked out wonderfully.
    New follower.
    ~Summer
    My A-Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spend much of my day thinking of similar questions. Some of them turn into wonderful stories and all of them keep life interesting. Simply Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do that, too. I find that my kids, as young as they are, are great resources in the "what if" game. Their imaginations are extraordinary—much better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do a lot of 'what if's', too. Even at the end of a joke which drives my family crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great idea... I usually start a storyline and then start asking the questions... but if I'm ever stuck on what to write about next, I will have to remember this idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a coherent idea for a story line to begin with :)

      Delete
  7. Or, what does the main character want and by the end of the story does he or she get it? This has helped me write and also to analyze books and plays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think up what ifs all the time. What if he doesn't like me? What if I'm not... Oh, we aren't talking about dating. Oops! haha What ifs are what bring life to stories. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I'm not sure the what ifs would be so helpful in the dating world...

      Delete
  9. I am the same way with What ifs. Thankfully my husband can reel me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great premise! I've also been forcing myself to find out what my characters want. Juliet atCity Muse Country Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to focus more on character development. Maybe it's because I often start this way that my books are very plot oriented. I'd like to change that :)

      Delete
  11. I loved reading your "what if's"! I usually start out with something I want to do/prove when I write. Since I've been rather blocked recently, I think I'll start trying your method. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What if... A great lead into imagination.

    ReplyDelete